Re: "double free or corruption" - how to solve this?

On 5/12/06, Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One of my programs, which was working quite well till now, suddenly
gives me the error:

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (top): 0x0808a338 ***
Aborted

It is a pure C program compiled with GCC 4.02 -- I do not understand
why it does not work suddenly. Please tell me what the above error can
be.

Shriramana,

From earlier posts at SLE I suppose you're running SuSE 10 (please
correct me if I am wrong) which uses a glibc version with an
integrated memory checker that can be turned of by setting

export MALLOC_CHECK_=0

If the program is simple you will not have to use dbg in order to
locate the offending code if any.  A combination of electric fence (as
James suggested) and valgrind should do it.  OTOH, if you're using
some libs and/or have switched to a different glibc version recently
you may have some lib mess.  Anyway, try to figure out what's wrong
with using the tools mentioned here and post the code if possible and
give gdb a try.

Bye

	\Steve
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-c-programming" in