AW: "double free or corruption" - how to solve this?

>Hello Shriramana,

>On Fri, 12 May 2006 13:41:12 +0530 "Shriramana Sharma" <samjnaa@xxxxxxxxx> >wrote:

>> One of my programs, which was working quite well till now, suddenly
>> gives me the error:
>>
>> *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (top): 0x0808a338 ***
>> Aborted
>>
>> It is a pure C program compiled with GCC 4.02 -- I do not understand
>> why it does not work suddenly. Please tell me what the above error can
>> be.

>Would be nice to run it from gdb, in order to get the backtrace when it
>crashes. This should help you understand where and why :).

>Regards,

>--
>wwp

I have a similar problem, but i don't know how gdb can help with this?
I tried with gdb (btw: I have one process forked (and a few threads) and I think this process creates the problem) but I only get the problem during exit handlers (e.g. SIGINT)

To get back to my question: how can I trace the problem with gdb, if I have forked processes and threads?

Cause it seems, that glibc only prints the line "*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption" and then continues
It doesn't send a SIGABORT or something else, so why should gdb "know" something was wrong? And how could I trace back (using "bt") if I have the problem, but don't know where it occures (cause glibc just prints and continues, not?)
I think the only "simple" way is using electric fence (?)

I'll try this next Monday

But some internal explanations what "*** glibc detected ***" does (not why it occures, but internally happens if it occures), if anyone knows, would be great

Thx and regards
-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-c-programming" in