Re: Disabling deviceinfo plugin on chromebooks?

Hi François,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 11:41 AM, François Beaufort
<beaufort.francois@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As the chromium team is building and testing the Web Bluetooth API to
> let websites discover and interact with nearby Bluetooth devices
> (https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2015/07/interact-with-ble-devices-on-the-web)
> I would love to be able to access the Device Information Service
> characteristics such as Serial Number String, Hardware Revision String
> and so forth.

Looks like we don't parse these characteristics just PnP ID which is
expose via Modalias property that has the information of product id
and vendor id, etc.

> Sadly, from what I understood, this is not achievable for now on
> Chromeboooks since Bluez comes with the deviceinfo plugin enabled by
> default. I do wonder now what would be the implications of disabling
> the deviceinfo plugin?

The way it works is that the plugin claims this service which prevent
it to be accessible over D-Bus, you could in theory disable the plugin
but I think we would benefit more if we add support for the missing
information directly in BlueZ saving each application the trouble to
read this information themselves.

If I would do it in BlueZ Id probably add them as properties to
org.bluez.Device1 and make sure we store them as we do with PnP ID.

> You will find more information at
> https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=532930
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Francois - a daily Bluez user.