Re: HFP/HSP Telephony profile doesn't work with Bluetooth USB dongle

On 02/25/2013 04:25 AM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote
The SCO connection seems to be established without problems:

HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
     Setup Synchronous Connection (0x01|0x0028) status 0x00 ncmd 1
HCI Event: Synchronous Connect Complete (0x2c) plen 17
     status 0x00 handle 6 bdaddr 00:12:3D:00:48:FD type eSCO
     Air mode: CVSD

But I cannot see any packets which might be the cause of your problem,
so it might be a controller/driver related not PulseAudio problem. You
can check what is the current voice settings of the controller by
doing:

sudo hciconfig hci0 voice
I am an experienced software developer but have no experience whatsoever with Bluetooth software development or the Bluetooth protocol, so if you could try to limit the use of, or at least explain, the Bluetooth-related technical terms you are using, that would be helpful. I'm afraid most of the above is gobbledygook to me.

For example, I don't know what the "SCO connection" is. Just to be clear, remember that the behavior I'm experiencing is that my headset works just find in A2DP mode, but not int HSP/HFP mode. If the "SCO connection" is something that would be relevant to both modes, and I don't know whether it is because I don't know these terms, then it's understandable that the dump would show a successful SCO connection; as I mentioned before, in the dump, the headset starts out just fine in A2DP mode and only stops working when I try to switch to HSP/HFP.

I also mentioned before, or at least I think I did, that this same headset works fine with my ThinkPad with built-in (as opposed to USB dongle) Bluetooth hardware, running the same version of Linux as my desktop that isn't working with the dongle, so I had always assumed that it was likely to be a "controller/driver related not PulseAudio problem"; it seems to me that if it were a PulseAudio problem, it wouldn't work on the laptop either.

It is possible that you already know and understand everything I've clarified above, and I'm wasting your time and mine by restating things :-/, but I can't tell whether that's the case because there is so much here about Bluetooth that I don't understand, so I thought it important to make sure everything is clear. I'm sorry if I'm telling you things you already know.

Here is what "hciconfig hci0 voice" prints when I connect to the headset in A2DP mode:

hci0:    Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
    BD Address: 00:02:72:32:77:9C  ACL MTU: 1021:8  SCO MTU: 64:1
    Voice setting: 0x0060 (Default Condition)
    Input Coding: Linear
    Input Data Format: 2's complement
    Input Sample Size: 16 bit
    # of bits padding at MSB: 0
    Air Coding Format: CVSD

When I use the Sound Settings applet to switch to HSP/HFP mode and run "hciconfig hci0 voice" again, it says *exactly the same thing*; there is not a single character different in the output? Should it be different?

Here's another interesting (or so it seems to me) piece of information... While the headset was switched into HSP/HFP mode and not working, pidgin generated a sound, which of course I did not hear because the audio wasn't working. When I switched back to A2DP mode, that sound, delayed by several minutes, played through the headset immediately.

Please tell me what more I can do to help debug this further.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jonathan Kamens