Re: HFP/HSP Telephony profile doesn't work with Bluetooth USB dongle

Hi Anderson,

Thanks for your response.

On 02/24/2013 09:59 AM, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Jonathan Kamens <jik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings,

Using Fedora 18 x86_64, I've tested two different USB Bluetooth dongles
(cheap generic Cambridge Silicon and more expensive BlueRigger BTD-400) and
two different headsets (Motorola SF600, BrainyTrade BH-M20), in all
combinations, the A2DP High-Fidelity profile for audio output works, but the
HFP/HSP Telephony profile does not.
More details on which steps you take to reproduce the problem should
help identifying the issue.
I posted extensive details in both the bugzilla ticket and the Fedora Testers List message to which I linked; that is why I linked to them. Here's what I put into the Bugzilla ticket:

   I have this Bluetooth USB dongle:

   Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd
   Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

   If I pair my Motorola SF600 headset with my computer using this
   dongle, then The HSP/HFP Telephony profile doesn't work. More
   specifically, input works but output does not. At least, I think
   input is working -- I can see the mic level move in the sound
   settings control panel when I talk, though I can't play it back
   because output doesn't work.

   In addition, with various combinations of pairing, unpairing,
   turning on, and turning off, I managed to get things into two
   interesting states relatively quickly -- one in which the sound
   settings let me change the profile drop-down but refused to actually
   switch the headset to that profile, and one in which bluetooth
   stopped working completely and shutting it off and on wouldn't help
   -- it would not turn back on. Right now, for example, I connected
   the headset, went to the sound settings, saw that it was set to the
   telephony profile, changed it to the high fidelity profile, and then
   clicked Test Speakers. The speaker testing window should have two
   buttons, one for left and one for right, but it has only one, as if
   it's still in telephony mode, and clicking the Test button hangs for
   a while without doing anything. In short, it's  bit of a mess.

   I also tested with a second Bluetooth USB dongle; this one, neither
   input NOR output works when I select the HSP/HFP Telephony profile:

   Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0a5c:21e8 Broadcom Corp. BCM20702A0 Bluetooth 4.0

   I also tested a cheap Bluetiger bluetooth headset with the same result.

   In contrast, the HSP/HFP Telephony profile _does_ work with this
   headset when I pair it to Fedora 18 on my ThinkPad T420i, with this
   BlueTooth hardware:

   Bus 001 Device 021: ID 0a5c:217f Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth Controller

Today, I tested this issue with Fedora 17 64-bit, Ubuntu 12.10 32-bit, and Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit Live CDs. Fedora 17 doesn't recognize the Bluetooth the Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle at all, and Ubuntu has the same problem as Fedora 18, i.e., my test results contradict BlueRigger's claim that the problem I'm experiencing does not occur in Ubuntu.
Also run "sudo hcidump -w hcidump.dump"  while you do these steps and
attach the generated hcidump.dump to your email so we can see what's
going on.
I've attached hcidump.dump from when I first pair the headset and connect to it using the Bluetooth 4.0 dongle, switch it to the HSP/HFP profile, and attempt to test sound output, yielding only silence from the headset.
The information below is also important because not everyone here uses
Fedora 18:
* kernel version ("uname -r")
* bluez version ("bluetoothd --version", or at least the package
version from the distro).
$ uname -r
3.7.9-201.fc18.x86_64
$ bluetoothd --version