RE: [RFC] BlueZ D-Bus Sim Access Profile Server API description

Hi Marcel,

>if we talk about the SAP server role found in a mobile phone,
>then that support clearly needs to interact with the telephony
>stack. Since when SAP is active the telephony stack needs to
>be suspended and all SIM transaction being forwarded.

I agree, but a telephony stack needs to care about its state when SAP is active. Not all linux based mobile platforms use ofono.

>Currently I would be thinking that the SAP implementation
>should be done inside oFono actually. Since then you have
>direct access to the hardware. The D-Bus approach just doesn't
>sound correct to me. I could be of course wrong, but I can't
>wrap my mind around on how you can make this work.

I assume that ofono should handle sap transactions (as it's kind of hardware abstraction for bluez) and expose SAP APDU interfaces as i.e Nokia did for sap transactions in spec (http://www.wirelessmodemapi.com/), and not implement sap profile itself.  Again, not all use ofono as telephony stack.

Sorry, I don't know ofono well. What's the interface between ofono and bluez?

>Even with file descriptor passing this doesn't look like the
>right approach. If we need a hardware abstraction than we
>either use oFono or we have to create some SAP hardware access
>abstraction.

I agree with this too. I prefere to have a sap implementation as bluez plugin, but we need to define api for sim operations which could be implemented in ofono or other proprietary stacks. I guess dbus was intended to be kind of hw abstraction api.
Some time ago Claudio sent proposal implementation of sap server where he defined api for a driver to sim.

Regards,
/Waldek--