RE: [RFC] BlueZ D-Bus Sim Access Profile Server API description

Hi Waldemar,

> >if we talk about the SAP server role found in a mobile phone,
> >then that support clearly needs to interact with the telephony
> >stack. Since when SAP is active the telephony stack needs to
> >be suspended and all SIM transaction being forwarded.
>
> I agree, but a telephony stack needs to care about its state when SAP is active. Not all linux based mobile platforms use ofono.

I think they should use oFono of course since that is the only way to be
modem hardware agnostic in the long run.

> >Currently I would be thinking that the SAP implementation
> >should be done inside oFono actually. Since then you have
> >direct access to the hardware. The D-Bus approach just doesn't
> >sound correct to me. I could be of course wrong, but I can't
> >wrap my mind around on how you can make this work.
>
> I assume that ofono should handle sap transactions (as it's kind of hardware abstraction for bluez) and expose SAP APDU interfaces as i.e Nokia did for sap transactions in spec (http://www.wirelessmodemapi.com/), and not implement sap profile itself.  Again, not all use ofono as telephony stack.
>
> Sorry, I don't know ofono well. What's the interface between ofono and bluez?

In this case there will be no direct interface besides oFono registering
the SDP records for SAP.

> >Even with file descriptor passing this doesn't look like the
> >right approach. If we need a hardware abstraction than we
> >either use oFono or we have to create some SAP hardware access
> >abstraction.
>
> I agree with this too. I prefere to have a sap implementation as bluez plugin, but we need to define api for sim operations which could be implemented in ofono or other proprietary stacks. I guess dbus was intended to be kind of hw abstraction api.
> Some time ago Claudio sent proposal implementation of sap server where he defined api for a driver to sim.

I still don't see this as a really good idea. We want modem abstraction
inside oFono and not all over the place.

Regards

Marcel