Re: RFC: Allow Bluez to select flushable or non-flushable ACL packets with L2CAP_LM_RELIABLE

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
<luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Suraj <suraj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Luis,
>>
>> On 6/16/2010 5:10 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I would like to play a little bit with this, so is there any missing
>>> updates?
>>>
>> This is not exactly something related to your question, but there is another
>> side effect for the current implementation.
>>
>> Assume you have 2 ACL links, FTP and A2DP. A2DP streaming and FTP doing FTP
>> Put.
>> When the A2DP packets start blocking, it effectively start blocking the
>> packets available for FTP too. But, the host has no idea about it and keep
>> pumping in A2DP data until all available buffers are blocked. Effectively
>> blocking both A2DP and FTP.
>>
>> So at the user level you will see your FTP connection stalling as long your
>> A2DP connection is stalled (out of range). FTP will restart as soon as A2DP
>> comes back in range.
>>
>> I had raised this issue sometime before, but could not follow it up.
>
> I got the impression that we can still control which packets are
> Automatically-Flushable and which are not, so even thought we set the
> timeout in a per ACL link fashion we can still mark which packets
> should be flushable in a per socket basis.
>
> Is that correct, Nick?

Yes, as Suraj explains, my patch will solve the problem of a stalled
A2DP link preventing FTP packets on another ACL - because the A2DP
packets will be marked flushable.

However its worth bringing up that my patch does not solve the reverse
problem - if an FTP link is stalled then all ACL packets will be
temporarily stalled - because you would not normally mark FTP packets
as flushable. For this you would need the kernel to set a high level
watermark on a per-ACL-link or per-socket basis, so that a single ACL
link or a single socket can not use all available ACL buffers
regardless of whether they are flushable or not.

Nick