Re: btusb and HCI_RAW

Hi Matthieu,

with HCI_RAW, application can bypass the bluez stack and send raw stuff
to dongle.

This seems not possible anymore with btusb because it uses
"hdev->conn_hash" to check if ACLDATA/SCODATA should be send/ received.

These checks make the HCI_RAW mode a bit useless (ie not working for acl
and sco).

Can we make the HCI_RAW work like before with acl and sco data ?
For example we can ignore theses check in HCI_RAW mode and send a notify
event when we turn on/off HCI_RAW mode.

we could, but that will cost a lot of CPU power. The SCO data packets
are just not an option here. Also without a full blown Bluetooth stack,
you don't know with alternate setting to use.
But hci_usb wasn't doing that (ie always use max alternate setting +
submit sco/alc urb), and I wasn't under the impression that it costs too
much CPU power.

there is not concept of max alternate setting. You just have to use the right one and powertop showed the difference in power consumption.

So this is a little bit
pointless here and before just worked by pure luck. Why do you want this
support in the first place?

This can be helpful to test userspace bluetooth stack or do some fuzzing.

I seriously couldn't care less about any userspace Bluetooth stack. Also why is RAW not working for ACL packets. It actually should work if the adapter is brought up properly and switched to RUNNING state. SCO will not be possible without magic.

What is the goal of HCI_RAW ?
With btusb it seems useless in the tx path.

It is mainly used for commands and events and for that it works perfectly fine.

Regards

Marcel