Re: [GIT PULL] Block changes for 5.4

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:52 AM Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - blk-cgroup writeback fixes (Tejun)

Well, that's a very short description of a pretty subtle series.

Honestly, I would much rather have seen this as three completely
separate pull requests:

 - the writeback and cgroup stuff

 - the core queuing changes

 - the nvme driver updates

 - the other driver updates

because right now this pull request is just a mess of completely
unrelated stuff that just shares a very weak common thread of "yeah,
it's related to block devices".

I've pulled this, but can you please just split driver stuff out from
core queue handling code that is largely independent of any particular
driver, and very much out from core VM writeback?

They really have almost nothing to do with each other, and I don't see
why you are randomly mixing these things up.

It makes it much harder to review the end result, and I think one
example of the weakness of this is the almost useless merge message
that didn't really talk much about these "fixes" (which is already not
really a proper description - those patches are really more like a
completely new way of doing certain cases of writeback, and much more
fundamental than just "some random fix that gets a single liner in
between other stuff").

                Linus