Re: [GIT PULL] Block changes for 5.4

On 9/17/19 6:18 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:52 AM Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> - blk-cgroup writeback fixes (Tejun)
>
> Well, that's a very short description of a pretty subtle series.
>
> Honestly, I would much rather have seen this as three completely
> separate pull requests:
>
>   - the writeback and cgroup stuff
>
>   - the core queuing changes
>
>   - the nvme driver updates
>
>   - the other driver updates
>
> because right now this pull request is just a mess of completely
> unrelated stuff that just shares a very weak common thread of "yeah,
> it's related to block devices".
>
> I've pulled this, but can you please just split driver stuff out from
> core queue handling code that is largely independent of any particular
> driver, and very much out from core VM writeback?
>
> They really have almost nothing to do with each other, and I don't see
> why you are randomly mixing these things up.
>
> It makes it much harder to review the end result, and I think one
> example of the weakness of this is the almost useless merge message
> that didn't really talk much about these "fixes" (which is already not
> really a proper description - those patches are really more like a
> completely new way of doing certain cases of writeback, and much more
> fundamental than just "some random fix that gets a single liner in
> between other stuff").

Point taken, I have sometimes done writeback specific branches, I guess
they got mixed up this time since it Tejun also had blk-cgroup writeback
changes.

We also don't have a lot of driver vs core inter-mingled churn anymore,
which is great, so I can start doing driver branches again like.

Thanks for pulling, I'll organize things separately going forward.

--
Jens Axboe