Re: Small Cache Dev Tuning

On 2020/6/16 22:57, Marc Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using bcache in Linux 5.4.45 and have been doing a number of
> experiments, and tuning some of the knobs in bcache. I have a very
> small cache device (~16 GiB) and I'm trying to make full use of it w/
> bcache. I've increased the two module parameters to their maximum
> values:
> bch_cutoff_writeback=70
> bch_cutoff_writeback_sync=90

These two parameters are only for experimental purpose for people who
want to research bcache writeback bahavior, I don't recommend/support to
change the default value in meaningful deployment. A large number may
cause unpredictable behavior e.g. deadlock or I/O hang. If you decide to
change these values in your environment, you have to take the risk for
the above negative situation.

> This certainly helps me allow more dirty data than what the defaults
> are set to. But a couple other followup questions:
> - Any additional recommended tuning/settings for small cache devices?

Do not change the default values in your deployment.

> - Is the soft threshold for dirty writeback data 70% so there is
> always room for metadata on the cache device? Dangerous to try and
> recompile with larger maximums?

It is dangerous. People required such configurable value for research
and study, it may cause deadlock if there is no room to allocate meta
data. Setting {70, 90} is higher probably to trigger such deadlock.

> - I'm still studying the code, but so far I don't see this, and wanted
> to confirm that: The writeback thread doesn't look at congestion on
> the backing device when flushing out data (and say pausing the
> writeback thread as needed)? For spinning media, if lots of latency
> sensitive reads are going directly to the backing device, and we're
> flushing a lot of data from cache to backing, that hurts.

This is quite tricky, the writeback I/O rate is controlled by a PD
controller, when there are more regular I/Os coming, the writeback I/O
will reduce to a minimum rate. But this is a try best effort, no real
time throttle guaranteed.

If you want to see in your workload which bch_cutoff_writeback or
bch_cutoff_writeback_sync may finally hang your system, it is OK to
change the default value for a research purpose. Otherwise please use
the default value. I only look into related bug for the default value.

Coly Li