Re: Issue with kernel 5.x

Hello!

Am Di., 24. Sept. 2019 um 15:32 Uhr schrieb Marcelo RE <marcelo.re@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I have set rootdelay=1,2,3,4,5 but it do not solve the problem.
> I will see dracut to see if it works.

Similar to my experience. That worked for a while but later it didn't
because there was a bug in dracut. But that seems fixed now. I removed
all my manual patches and it still works.

If you set a debug breakpoint in dracut (kernel cmdline
"rd.pre-mount=break"), then wait for a few seconds, and then resume
dracut and it works from there, it's probably a timing issue. If it's
still missing devices, you can try probing bcache from within the
breakpoint and see if it then resumes properly. While in the
breakpoint, you can also try manually mounting your rootfs to
"/sysroot" and look for error messages. Don't forget to unmount before
rebooting because dracut won't run any shutdown logic when rebooting
from the breakpoint.

> For the record, I use Kubuntu 19.04 in an Asus Strix GL702Z with a
> 256GB SSD and 1TB HD. I have a 100GB SSD partition for the bcache.
> With Kubuntu 16.04, the config with bcache was really fast. 9s to
> start to login and 14s to start all the apps in the previous session
> of KDE.

Yes, back with earlier kernels, I had boot times to full desktop in
under 30 seconds, with rootfs on bcache/btrfs. BTW: When I write "boot
time" I always mean "... to the full desktop" in my following answers.

> When I update, I jump to 18.04. I boot without problem and
> intermediately update to 19.04 and in that moment the kernel change.
> Now it take far more time to boot. Aprox 35s to login plus 20s to show
> the desktop.

I'm seeing this, too: Currently my boot times are at least twice as
long, with a semi-cold bcache even more than a minute. But I'm not
sure where we should look for the problem: Is it in bcache? Is it in
btrfs? Is it somewhere else in the kernel layer? After all, a lot has
changed in memory management, VFS, and drivers... The kernel has
switched to multi-queue, old IO schedulers no longer exist...

Additionally, I turned write-back caching off because I saw effects
that under memory pressure bcache could loose writes to its journal
without noticing it. Upon reboot it would fall over a transaction
missing in the middle of the journal. Also, bcache write-back is sooo
slow (only 4kb/s) that it has no chance of writing back all data to
the disk because my system generates at least 4kb/s writes constantly
(usually 8-12), so the cache is slowly piling up unwritten data. If
something goes wrong, my FS on the backing device is potentially
missing days over days of important metadata writes (because those
mainly go through writeback) and it will be broken just beyond repair.
I've semi-fixed it by bumping the minimum writeback rate to 4 MB/s but
that feels wrong. Or the default is just way too low (it should be
higher than the normal in-flow of a mostly-idle system which would
write log data every once in a while, or updates access metadata).
Maybe it should auto-tune itself somehow. 4 MB/s seemed reasonable to
me as it should still allow good enough random access throughput even
while this rate of writeback is enforced to the backing devices.

But all in all, using bcache feels much less of an improvement to a
desktop system than it did maybe 1-2 years ago. But again: I'm not
sure if we can accuse bcache of that or other changes to the kernel
(and btrfs in my case). Especially, low but constant throughput
write-loads seem to make the system much more sluggish today than
maybe 1-2 years ago.

Regards,
Kai