Re: Sysfs-Configurable readahead and background bypasses

On 2019/2/17 8:23 上午, Nix wrote:
> On 16 Feb 2019, Coly Li told this:
>
>> The reason we care about metadata here is, for some file systems, they
>> do metadata readahead as sequential requests, and we want to keep such
>> sequential metadata I/Os on cache device.
>
> ... and something is still not quite right here. I just did a git status
> on the usual evil test case, a Chromium git repo on XFS-on-bcache-on-md.
> I've done a complete backup indexing run before and 10GiB or so of
> metadata has hit the cache device, yet the git status still caused it to
> pound away at the disk for fifteen minutes or so, very seekily, with
> bypassed I/O going up and nothing much happening to the cache hits *or*
> cache misses.
>
> (I have boosted the sequential_cutoff to 6144K on the grounds that, with
> my RAID chunk size of 512K on three disks of a 5-disk RAID-6 and
> sequential read rate of 200MiB/s/disk, it's only once you pass about
> 6144K that the time taken to read exceeds the typical seek time of about
> 7--10ms. A bit more stuff is getting cached, but not... *whatever* git
> is doing here.)
>
> I'll do a drop_caches soon and try again, and examine what's going on
> with blktrace, because something strange is happening here I think.
>

> Hm actually it looks like "git status" reads the first line of every
> file as well, which obviously a backup index run is not going to do
> (that just stat()s everything). It's still not clear to me why *that*
> was being bypassed though. Reading a few hundred bytes from each of
> tens of thousands of files seems like exactly the sort of thing bcache
> should be caching... more analysis needed, I think. Let's see, can I get
> someone to give me a research grant :P
>
>> For normal file readahead, if it is sequential I/O and execeeds
>> sequential cutoff threshold, bcache won't have it. But if it is random,
>> bcache may have it. It is about I/O patterns, not priorities.
>
> Unless you're using the ioprio patch in which case that matters too ;)
> (different sort of priority though.)

Aha, you wait for me here :-)

I am open with the ioprio patch, and also I plan to provide it for some
partners and wait for the response (not do it yet, but on my plan). What
I concern is the confused configuration interface, we need to make it
much simpler. We don't need to check ioprio very accurate, if we can
find a way to configure it simpler. We need someone work on it, that is it.

Thanks.

--

Coly Li