Re: Sysfs-Configurable readahead and background bypasses

On 2019/2/17 12:21 上午, Nix wrote:
> On 16 Feb 2019, Andreas uttered the following:
>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> as far as I can tell bcache is caching BtrFS metadata for me, with or
>> without my patch. Perhaps BtrFS correctly flags it as REQ_PRIO. In my
>
> I think that's probably it: XFS is different (and apparently REQ_PRIO is
> the wrong thing to look for after all).
>
>> testing bcache was consistently (and repeatedly) bypassing file contents
>> just because they were read as a result of a readahead operation, hence
>> the need for my patch. I also found that, before my patch,
>> sequential_cutoff and congestion thresholds had close to no effect on
>> how much would be cached or bypassed.
>
> For what it's worth, on XFS that is definitely not true: push up the
> sequential_cutoff and the amount cached goes up. (I'm pushing it up
> periodically in RAID-chunk-size units until I find that enough is cached
> for my metadata reads to disappear.)
>
>> The problem you linked to seems to be a separate issue where different
>> filesystems flag their internal IO inconsistently leading to similar yet
>> different problems.
>
> Yep.

Hi Andreas,

>> a solution as I feel like my knowledge of bcache and the Linux kernel in
>> general is far too limited to produce a patch of sufficient quality.

Don't worry about this, if you enjoy, please join :-)
For me, reading your email and discuss with you is happy experience.

> But that's true of everyone to start with! Our biggest problem is
> impostor syndrome. Dive in! (But keep good backups.)

I can not agree more on this :-)
BTW, it is good to know "impostor syndrome", I finally find a good word
to express my awkward situation *^_^*

Thanks.

--

Coly Li