Re: code stability (production readiness) and kernel versions

Hey, sorry for the delay. Was travelling and I've been slow to catch
up on email...

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Alexandru Ionica
<alexandru.ionica@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been doing several benchmarks (Phoronix test suite, disk suite) and
> I'm really impressed with the performance when doing writeback caching. For
> the benchmarks I did a git checkout and compiled the 3.1.0+ kernel. As the
> wiki is outdated I am wondering if the patches have also been applied on a
> kernel version which is used by server oriented distributions, meaning
> kernel version 2.6.32 for example or if there is a way to apply the patches
> (if they exist separately) to kernel version 2.6.32 .
> I am interested in this specific version of the kernel as other constrains
> impose it.

Any chance you could share those benchmarks? I'll post them on the
wiki (or give you an account). I could really use some benchmarks that
are suitable for sharing, all the benchmarking I've done has been just
focused on optimizing stuff.

> Also ... do you think that your code is production ready when using bcache
> to do writeback caching ? Of course I will keep testing but I'd like to
> know if you think the code by now is production ready.

Yeah, it is. Test it on your configuration, etc. etc. but writeback is
pretty mature and well tested at this point.

> Basically I plan to run a setup like: bcache device assembled from software
> raid10 or raid0 (4 disk) + ssd ; on top of this a volume group ; on top of
> logical devices drbd setup . We are running this for a long while without
> bcache so the setup is stable and the new part here would be bcache.

Sounds pretty reasonable.

> P.S. during the benchmarks bcache outperformed in every way flashcache (I
> tried two different sequential size settings with flash cache, both
> underperformed)

Cool! Would love to see the numbers :)