Re: turn your tablet into a real physical interface

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Simon Wise <simonzwise@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/11/14 11:45, Len Ovens wrote:
On Sun, 2 Nov 2014, david wrote:

I like feeling a real knob or slider, not the flat slick surface of a picture
of a knob or slider.

I think there is no one here who wants "touch" for controlling audio. We all
want something we can feel that we don't have to watch. Watching while moving
takes more concerntration leaving less for listening, but listening is more
important. Worse (I don't know about others) the concentration used with a touch
pad to make sure my finger is in the right place is fully on the upper level of
my consiousness as opposed to a knob or fader that becomes an extension of low
level muscle control for the most part.

it is the combination of real knobs and faders with the visual feed back of a touch screen for selecting and viewing things that works well ... it has been the basis of some very high end studio mixing systems for a while now. A biggish button displayed on a touchsceen requires less fiddling/distraction than using a mouse and cursor if you are mostly using your hands for the keyboard and real controls ... plus there are some types of control that can be done with multi-touch or pen quite nicely ... (certainly not knobs, faders and buttons)

Simon

Clearly the octopus is way ahead of us here but a touch screen that dynamically changes its texture as well as its colour is totally possible, just needs someone to figure out how to do it.

Martin