Re: Electric pop music engineering history - Was: Mix feedback on a new track?

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

but they did not want it identified as a "machine". To solve this
problem, Pat used the AUTO PAN setting of the SPX90 to keep the
sixteenth note RX11 high-hat pattern moving, making it harder to focus
on this track."

Hiding, but really fixing the problem. It does depend on the effect the musician is trying to produce.

That's just promotion, but using panning, usually MIDI control instead
of a noise effect unit, was really one method used to avoid the
machine-gun effect (just naming it "machine" in the sense of "drum
machine" is an understatement/downplaying of the issue).

In my case, I did mean machine. Machine gun would be something I use to refer to drum rolls :) But in this case, the HH is not straight timed notes. The timing shows quite a lot of variation. It is the sameness of the sound I was refering to.

This has taught me how much musicianship the average drummer puts into their playing. I certainly never thought about it when I was playing as the body movements are more subconsious than I thought. It is no wonder drummers choose drums over pads.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net