Re: Session management with NSM

Am 04.09.2014 19:23, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 17:03 +0200, hermann meyer wrote:
Am 04.09.2014 16:49, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
Hi Rui :)

On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 15:34 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
as said, automatic latency compensation in qtractors audio recording is
a one-time settlement--it gets settled at the time you take the
recording. nevermore it gets auto-adjusted later on, ie. the take offset
value, as read from jack_port_get_latency*(), won't ever change
thereafter. that means you're in charge to tweak it later if you please,
by summoning the clip properties dialog and changing the offset value as
you wish.
IIUC NSM doesn't care about the jackd settings. When Qtractor also
ignores the settings, expects that they are the same as when an audio
track was recorded, then Qtractor _does not_ support NSM session
management. I start my sessions by scripts and don't use a session
manager and it seems that my decision to do so is good.

______________________________
Your conclusions here are wrong. NSM didn't forward any jackd settings
to the clients. So, how a client behave regarding the latency setting in
jackd, have nothing to do with, if it support NSM or not.
Also, your use of scripts didn't change that, so it isn't good or bad,
it's simply just the way YOU do it.
The scripts start all apps, do all connections and at first jackd is
started always using the same latency, so the sync of audio and MIDI
tracks for Qtractor can't differ. NSM cares about this too?

And your script is written by rassg? "Ralfs auto session script generator", or did it depend on your human interaction with your keyboard? And later on, when your session is grown to a state were you are forced to use a higher latency, because you reach the limit of your hardware, it do all the magic to sync the tracks inside qtractor to the desired settings? And your script is also able to archive/restore a session over the network, were more then one host is involved, even again with syncing all the jack settings? Wow, great. I remember the day's were I use scripts as well, but, I must say I wasn't able to archive all that. Maybe you are so kind to release your "rassg" tool?

regards
hermann