Re: [OT]: Linux non-linear video editors [WAS]: Writing jingles

On 02/07/14 11:42, Louigi Verona wrote:
Hey Lorenzo!

Thanks for reminding me about xjadeo - I should try if I can use that
tool to do the sync as well. Although Xjadeo does not play sound, right?
Because I usually use  video camera audio as something that I am syncing
the external audio recording to.

No xjadeo is a video player synced to jack transport. I'm not sure if you need to use the video camera audio for 1) editing the video itself (e.g. dialogue) or 2) sync the music, fx etc. (i.e. stuff you would edit in a music software).

1) obviously you need to do the video editing in your video editor, I think cinelerra has among the best audio handling features (icluding fader automation and audio plug-ins) out there..

2)
2.1 Extract just the audio of your edited video footage e.g. with

ffmpeg -i myvideo.mp4 only_audio.wav

2.2 Open only_audio.wav in e.g. ardour and add/mix, sync all the other audio stuff

2.3 Open myvideo.mp4 (although check the xjadeo manual for best codecs and options... in that case mencoder is your friend) and voilà...

I tried Cinelerra today from community PPA and the big problem with it
is that it does not read my format and I have no idea what to do here.
Same with Blender - it looks very promising and cool, but these encoding
problems are very tough.

Again I think ffmpeg is your friend (plus a bit of googling maybe and the cinelerra-cv mailing list which now-a-days is rather active)

Lorenzo
OpenShot may be unstable, but at least it
rarely has such troubles.

Maybe there is some way to make Cinelerra see all the formats?

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Lorenzo Sutton