[OT]: Linux non-linear video editors [WAS]: Writing jingles

Hi Louigi,

On 02/07/2014 00:08, Louigi Verona wrote:
This is really a pity, because otherwise OpenShot is a great editor.

In light of my increasing video editing, I am sorry to say that I am
beginning to contemplate switching to Windows for video. I spent the
whole day today exploring video editing tools for Linux and it was a
total disappointment.

1. Tried promising *Lightworks*.
[...]

5. Tried *Avidemux* and some other video editor from the repos - both
could not even open an mp4 file properly.

I'm not sure if that included Cinelerra. Cinelerra community version [1] has recently regained momentum with lots of stuff going on. You will most probably have to compile it (but that's relatively easy on Ubuntu/Debian see [2] for an excellent guide), and it won't import some formats out of the box.. but in my opinion it's worth a try. I would keep ffmpeg ('original' version, not avlib) and mencoder handy whichever software you use.

Also I'm not sure what your workflow for the gingle was, but for audio such as sound-track, sound effects and so on (i.e. audio which is not part of the video takes and editing cuts), I think using ardour (or any jacktransport application) with xjadeo is a really powerful workflow.

Have fun :-)
Lorenzo.

[1]: http://cinelerra-cv.org/
[2]: http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/compilation.html