Re: Looking for advice on a field recording device

On 07/26/2013 05:04 PM, Julien Claassen wrote:
Hello Philipp!
   I have a Zoom h4n now and it is very good. It's not the tiniest of
implements, but certainly easyenough to carry around. It takes a minute
to start up, but then recording is instantaneous. It has two built-in
microphones and you can change the angle between those two from 90 to
120 degrees. The self-noise is present, but OK. You can go to my website
and check outmy field recordings to get your own impressions of its
recording quality.
   A friend recently bought a Zoom H2n. It's much smaller, doesn't have
as many fancy recording options. I don't know, how fast this can boot up
and I don't know the difference in sound. I can ask myfriend, what he
thinks. He knows the Zoom H4n in comparison, since it was his. :-)
   As to their own noise levels, you assume correctly. Since they write
on SD cards, they are silent.
No direct recommendations here but I've also heard good reports from the Zoom. Toshiba is another option if you require stereo