Re: Looking for advice on a field recording device

Hello Philipp!
I have a Zoom h4n now and it is very good. It's not the tiniest of implements, but certainly easyenough to carry around. It takes a minute to start up, but then recording is instantaneous. It has two built-in microphones and you can change the angle between those two from 90 to 120 degrees. The self-noise is present, but OK. You can go to my website and check outmy field recordings to get your own impressions of its recording quality. A friend recently bought a Zoom H2n. It's much smaller, doesn't have as many fancy recording options. I don't know, how fast this can boot up and I don't know the difference in sound. I can ask myfriend, what he thinks. He knows the Zoom H4n in comparison, since it was his. :-) As to their own noise levels, you assume correctly. Since they write on SD cards, they are silent.
  Warm regards
        Julien