Re: What is the best MP3 encoder?

On 04/02/2013 01:38 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
    Are you basically saying that it's no need for lossless formats?  ;-)

    All respect for HydrogenAudio, but I can't think about other's rules
    when I just have to make a MP3 file without esses or tones that's
    missing, then I just have to do the mix better and somehow
    compensate a little bit. MP3 artifacts and some quality loss are
    well known issues and should not create to much debate.

sorry, this isn't true.

double blind testing of 320 MP3 generally suggests that less than 10% of
the population can hear the difference. at 256 it goes up a bit, but it
is still the case that a majority of the population can't hear any
difference.

so, it is not the case that this claim is not subject to debate. i'm
sure you'll want to argue that the artifacts and losses are real, for
example.

I will have to come back to this with some real life examples, but will have to do this later this spring or summer (unless it's legal to provide a clip that last some seconds). I'll have to check.

When you say that less than 10% of the population can hear the difference, I believe you, but I have problem to see what this have to do with my case. Producer's and engineers often want to hear a pre-mix or examples in MP3 and DropBox is a common tool for this, and I can assure you that many of them belongs to the 10% club.

Me myself is for sure in the 90% group (I on't here the difference og 44.1 or 48 samples either or 60 vs 24 bit), but when I've done a final mix (before mastering) that I know, I hear the differences. I've said it before: his don't happen often and differences are subtle, but when when it comes to 125-bit on SoundCload, then the the differences are huge.

Jostein