Re: The Psychology of Music

On 02/18/2013 07:38 AM, Alf Haakon Lund wrote:
On 08. feb. 2013 14:55, Stephen Stubbs wrote:
On 2/8/2013 1:43 AM, david wrote:
http://visual.ly/psychology-music?utm_source=visually_embed

So now we have quantitative proof that the Ancient Greeks' views on
music were correct.

Music is not an art but a science, with well defined laws that enable
the musician to induce specific effects and emotions in the listener.

Refer to:
On Music in Three Books, by Aristides Quintilianus
Translation, with Introduction, Commentary, and Annotations by Thomas J
Mathiesen
1983, Yale University Press
ISBN 0-300-02893-8

'The Other' Stephen Stubbs
Champaign, IL USA

This made me want to recommend Musicophilia - Tales of Music and the
Brain - by Oliver Sacks.
ISBN 978-0-330-52359-2

Excellent book!

And while music certainly can be viewed as 'science' there's no doubt in
my mind that it also rightfully can be viewed as 'art' - those two are
not mutually exclusive!

Art has been rooted in technology for thousands of years. Present day art is saturated with technology (pigments and binders for paints, ingredients of ceramic glazes).

And a list such as LAU, which has many members making sounds algorithmically using tones generated by mathematical equations, certainly can't claim to be purely "art" and not not "technology".

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx