Re: The Psychology of Music

On 08. feb. 2013 14:55, Stephen Stubbs wrote:
On 2/8/2013 1:43 AM, david wrote:
http://visual.ly/psychology-music?utm_source=visually_embed

So now we have quantitative proof that the Ancient Greeks' views on
music were correct.

Music is not an art but a science, with well defined laws that enable
the musician to induce specific effects and emotions in the listener.

Refer to:
On Music in Three Books, by Aristides Quintilianus
Translation, with Introduction, Commentary, and Annotations by Thomas J
Mathiesen
1983, Yale University Press
ISBN 0-300-02893-8

'The Other' Stephen Stubbs
Champaign, IL USA

This made me want to recommend Musicophilia - Tales of Music and the Brain - by Oliver Sacks.
ISBN 978-0-330-52359-2

And while music certainly can be viewed as 'science' there's no doubt in my mind that it also rightfully can be viewed as 'art' - those two are not mutually exclusive!

Al F