Re: Pro Audio? OT rant.

On 12/25/2012 02:24 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
On 12/24/2012 10:45 AM, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
Now do it the other way around: Take some digital masters of albums and
cut vinyl records from then. Now do a double blind test. My hypothesis
is that you will be able to discriminate the vinyl from the digital
playback for the simple reason that the vinyl cutting and playback chain
introduces loads of imperfections that will be clearly audible.

Doesn't this result in vinyl that can barely be played (unless the digital master was done for vinyl specifically)? I thought masters for vinyl and digital media were slightly different.

Yes, that was my impression, too.. For a good vinyl cut you have to have a different mastering to work around the limitations of the medium..

Actually I worded that second point rather badly. The point was that the vinyl cutting process (including special/professional mastering) will introduce many more audible artefacts than the 44.1khz/16bit downsampling export for a CD. Vinyl is an audibly inferior medium to a good digital chain. So much worse that you need highly trained professionals to work around the limitations to create a bearable product. Some people might still prefer the sound. But that has nothing to do with vinyl being the measurably better medium.

Flo

P.S.: I still like my vinyl collection of records. The haptics. The nostalgia. The big pictures on the covers.. The handling of a pair of Technics MK1210 and a good mixer is still awesome for mixes, etc..

--
Florian Paul Schmidt
http://fps.io