Re: Have some free music!

2012/2/9 alexander <axeldenstore@xxxxxxxxx>

Sometimes I've thought about buying a Zoom H4n (or another similar) just for the same goal: recording stereo overheads along with 1 mic for snare and 1 for kick (3 mics technique). Now I know it works, and quite well as I can see. BTW, very useful that tip of using room emulation with close overheads.

Thanks for the extended info.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux

It works, it's a little bit clusmy.. And the pres/converters have terrible dynamic range so if you play loud on the snare you'll clip it at lowest gain, imo it's not really noticable tho.. it has some limiting function but ifaik they're post ADC so they're not really usable as a clipping safeguard. It's noise floor is also quite high so it's not suitable for recording low SPL sounds in a quiet envoirment. You'll easily get away with an acoustic guitar tho. Nonetheless, it's a handy little device, comes with a hardcase and fits in a pocket..

Good to know those things. Thanks

Also I believe (at least the time I bought mine) the h4n was/is the only device that has simultaneous 4 channel record function.. so if you look into these things don't assume 4channels just because it has onboard mics and 2mic inputs for external mics.

At the beginning I thought every device similar to H4n (pocket recorders) could record all the inputs at the same time, but later I noticed that there are some that had a limited number of channels to record at once, 2 normally.
It's great to be able to record 3 or 4, you could record 2 OH, snare and kick just with a little device. It's not the best, but definitively is very useful.

Maybe nowadays there is another device that can handle 4 inputs and has better recording quality.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux