Re: iPad and Linux audio

Am 09.02.2012 12:13, schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Harry van Haaren wrote:

But I did just now: Sure its cool stuff, but is this going to be the next
stuff played on radio?

You mean, is the next album by Dream Theater going to feature Rudess
playing on iPad which he already does? Quite likely, yes.

Oh, and he uses Haken Audio Continuum in live perfomances too. That
must be such an abomination :)

Indeed! Unthinkable abomination -- how dares this traitor to play anything, that is not in the book of good and standard instruments for rockbands?! This is an outrage!

Very well then, I hope, I get Harrys intention correctly if I think, he refers to presetted sequences and the like. This is a point as long, as the presets cannot be made by the user him/herself.

On the other hand: there are no restrictions for using anything, that makes a noise to play music. I saw Nick Cave playing a 20.000 Euro piano combined with a 10 Euro toy-keyboard that accompanied his piano with some preset-drumbeat taken with a vocals-mic from its very own speakers.

And it was beautiful. It worked, most probably it was better and more interesting as it would have been if a real drummer would have played the beat on a vintage Ludwig.

Software-instruments played on a pad-device may not be in the same league as guitars regarding opportunities for expression but there are many instruments that cannot rival a guitar or a Moog. And nobody would say: uuhhh that trumpet cannot play power-chords, not a real instrument!

best regards

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org