Re: Have some free music!

2012/2/9 alexander <axeldenstore@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Alex.

I'm just listening to the downloaded album and I'm totally agree with the other LAU folks, the album is really good: a tasty mix of Jazz, experimentation and even a little progressive at times (ie the sound of the Mellotron on track 5).
I think this won't be the last time I listen to it.

So, you have already list the gear you used to record. BTW, very clean and professional recording. I would like to know something about how was the process to the final mix, given that you played it all and it seems in different (maybe distant) points in time.

Thanks for sharing.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux

There's not really much to it actually.. I haven't put way too much time in the mixing/mastring process.. just the usual of getting things to fit compression, eq, and some automatation... In the stuka song I have only a h4n as overheads + kick and snare but no tom mics so the sound stands out alitle from the rest on that song.. I allways emphasize the 1100hz region on the uprightbass to give more of that buzzy sound, I'm using the 4-band parametric eq... I've been refence listening alot to The Bad Plus as this is the band that has inspired me the most lately.. I use the same panning idea they've got on most of their songs, eg bass and piano to the sides and the drums !everywhere! -_- It really separates things! I also make use of the ir-lv2 plug alot, mostly for room emulation and reverbs.. I record the drums in a bad sounding, boxy garage so I put the OH's quite close to the drums and use room emulation instead.. as for mastering I really just try to get the levels sort of the same with a limiter...

Sometimes I've thought about buying a Zoom H4n (or another similar) just for the same goal: recording stereo overheads along with 1 mic for snare and 1 for kick (3 mics technique). Now I know it works, and quite well as I can see. BTW, very useful that tip of using room emulation with close overheads.

Thanks for the extended info.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux