Re: WG: [slightly OT] Musical citation (what is allowed?)

Am 01.12.2011 09:15, schrieb Louigi Verona:
I second what Ralf says.

There is a nice Russian article on the subject. Shortly speaking, it is
about the fact that art has always been standing on other artists'
shoulders. But now such a stance is denied to artists and it is sometimes
even deemed shameful if you are using synth presets, instead of coming up
with your own. So the article speaks of how the cult of originality has
toned down creativity and that songwriters spend too much time trying to
make original presets and arrangements instead of writing songs and how
much time is spent in doing something original just for the sake of
originality.
I am very much with what the author says. I do not see a problem with
anyone using another composer's melody. In fact, isn't this is what
composers write songs for, so that people can play and sing them?

To cite someone elses work is a most important technique in arts. Beginning with a simple parody up to zeniths like Mahlers variations on a theme from Bach and Charles Mingus playing american songbook standards.

Indeed, economical thinking has distorted perception of art greatly with
this concept of originality.

Its economics, indeed. And it is NOT originality or authorship as a wrong concept. If I cite/adapt someone, I keep my listeners informed that I do -- that is a matter of respect for me. Andi it does not diminish my own part of the work at all.

The problem is: if there is someone, that wants to cash in for a citation, many musicians dump respect for the original authors simply to avoid weasel-bites.

Longer sampling can be and covers are another matter: as soon as you make money with a piece building upon long samples or that you cover, you should pay a share to the original authors/producers.

best regards

HZN

Cheers!

Louigi.