Re: Subject=Re: community pages

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Aurélien Leblond <blablack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The company I work for produce software (a very VERY big company), and
they have a whole department for branding.

I know it is "sad", and as a developer, I feel that "if it is a good
software, they will come"...

But...not so...

I'll easily belive that a big company has a whole department for branding. But I think this is a little out of the context of what I initially said.

I'm a single developer, working on my hobby project because I enjoy it and like to use it. Would I like it if more pople used it? Yeah sure. Am I going to go overboard rebranding my software to seem like the commercial / proprietary alternatives, and try and attract attention to my project in this way? I won't.

On the other hand, would I use the #linuxaudio tag to publicize a release / update? Yes. I have no problem with *publicizing* information, and perhaps even purposefully targeting it at a certain audience (whether they be beginners or veterans), as this doesn't affect the information itself. But changing the information that is being spread around *for the purpose of promotion* is not something I think is a good idea.

May be rebranding is the wrong idea though.

I think so :)
-Harry