Re: LV2 synths for Ardour 3?

On 07/03/2011 02:24 AM, rosea grammostola wrote:

They should release a LV2 version instead imho. LV2 is much better
supported on Linux then VST. LV2 is ready for it...

I'm not sure that LV2 is really that much better supported -- it has better support in open-source apps (notably Ardour 3), but Renoise apparently has very solid native VST support.

I'd love to have an LV2 Pianoteq, but being realistic, I know that there's a good chance that it won't happen. I'm sure it's a lot of extra work to implement support for a new plugin format, compared to simply porting the existing VST code to a new platform.

If we want to encourage more commercial developers to bring their Windows/OS X VST plugins across to Linux, I think having good native VST support in common hosts is going to help. I know that's not a goal some would share, but I'm personally in favour of having as many options available as possible.

Thanks
Leigh

\r