Re: First KXlinux headaches.

On 12/04/2010 04:31 AM, michael noble wrote:
On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Jeremy Jongepier<jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 12/03/2010 01:19 PM, ailo wrote:

I was trying to find out whether it uses pulseaudio. From what I've
understood, Envy24 is no go with pulseaudio, right?

Right, and since KXStudio is based on Ubuntu 10.04 you'll have to hack
your way around a bit.

I'm not using kxstudio anymore, rather more of a mix of falktx's
packages, stock ubuntu 10.04 and some other PPAs, but I had it working
fine with an envy24 based soundcard. From memory, the jack-pulse
integration is optional, and can be turned off using the included
jack2-simple-config.

If kxstudio is not your thing, then pure::dyne might suit you as has
been stated. There is also a newish distro called tango studio that
looks interesting (http://tangostudio.tuxfamily.org/en/tangostudio),
and a studio distro based on puppy linux
(http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60483) which also
looks lightweight and may suit you fine.

-mjn

One more vote for Tango Studio (Karmasutra): http://tangostudio.tuxfamily.org/en/tangostudio Haven't tried it though but I did have some contact with its creator. I'm very much in favor of his packaging/remastering ethos (meticulous is the key-word). He also offers a very good performing 2.6.33 real-time kernel for testing, I think it should still be in the Tango Studio unstable branch.
And then there's also Dream Studio: http://dream.dickmacinnis.com/forum/
Or Apodio: http://www.apodio.org/

Best,

Jeremy