Re: ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

Dave Phillips wrote:
david wrote:
drew Roberts wrote:

I seem to remember reading some science fiction once where poets were the stars and musicians were in the state poets are in now.

Hmmm, what book was that?

Well, the concept appears in Olaf Stapledon's "Last And First Men". If you're into science fiction you should know his work. Quite the visionary.

Read that one along time ago. He would toss off an idea into 2 paragraphs that other writers would have turned into an entire ongoing series!

re: Hollywood:

I've also heard they went west because land and other stuff was cheaper.

When I lived in LA I dated a woman whose father had purchased undeveloped land on Point Dume at the tip of Malibu Point. When demobbed from the military in the early 50s he bought something like ten acres out there for cheap-cheap. No electricity, no running water, no gas, etc. In the early 1960s he retired after selling half the property. He kept his family's home though, it had an amazing view of the Pacific from the main room. The house wasn't a mansion or huge estate, it was just a normal house but with a remarkable location.

That would be pretty cool.

My neighbor in Santa Monica was a retired railroad employee. He'd been living there since the 1940s, had a lot to say about ""what happened" to Los Angeles during his lifetime. Let's just say that he watched property values grow jet engines instead of wings during the 60s.

And some people wonder why everything is much more expensive now than it was during the 60's!

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx