Re: ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

drew Roberts wrote:
On Saturday 03 July 2010 06:49:05 david wrote:
I used to write and sell poetry. Didn't make a living at it, it was just
part of the creative writing business back then. At the time, poets in
America made a living in only a few ways: wrote greeting card verse!, or
were university professors. (I think one woman poet made a good living
writing small books of maudlin verse that were sold on rotating racks
near the greeting cards.) One of my poetry instructors (and my
undergraduate advisor) has had several poetry collections published. I
have one of them. None of the poems strike a chord with ordinary people.
He's probably not sold enough copies to recoup the publishing cost!

I seem to remember reading some science fiction once where poets were the stars and musicians were in the state poets are in now.

Hmmm, what book was that?

Just think what the world would be like if someone back in the early
days of movie making had patented the whole movie making process

I heard that Hollywood is where it is and not the East coast because things were patented and they went far away to "hide" - that's one story I have read at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Patents_Company#Backlash_and_Decline

I've also heard they went west because land and other stuff was cheaper. Hollywood's idea of a "big budget movie" back then was a lot smaller than even today's low-budget films.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx