Re: ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, drew Roberts wrote:

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 09:29:21 Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Dave Phillips wrote:
I have an observation re: this thread: People who don't hold copyrights
or patents typically don't understand the full significance of copyright
or patent laws because they never have to. Those of us who do hold them
regard the issue differently. My advice, try making your living from
royalties for a

Well said!

-gabriel

Isn't this a false dichotomy though? Why must a musician try and make a living
from royalties? Are there no other options?

The point is: people seem to be really cavalier about who has rights to the art that they did not create.

And even if there are no other options, is it worth the harm done to the rest of the world?

Harm? Are you really /harmed/ because the artist asked you to /pay/ for a copy of his recording??

gimme a break.

-gabriel