Re: composing with trackers

Rob wrote:
On Thursday 01 March 2007 17:03, Atte André Jensen wrote:
I completely abandoned composing at the computer for exactly
that reason. I find it quicker to experiment with everything
from melody, harmony, lyrics, modulations to form when at the
piano. Also I found that I only make good tunes when playing
and *singing* along.

I do most of my composing when I'm driving nowadays.... it must be the only time when my brain's able to disengage and let the melodies out. But sometimes I compose while sitting at the piano or with a guitar or bass on my lap.

I prefer a piano, but guitar's OK.

I can't recall a time when I've been able to compose anything in a computer program, but that was my ex's preferred modus operandi. He was one of those guys who would rather write sheet music and learn to play it than just sit down and play. And some of it was actually kinda good, in that sort of Philip Glass, modern classical way.

I can do both, but playing is more a way of getting raw material into the computer, where it can be turned into a composition.

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx