composing with trackers

Greetings:

I have no idea if anyone's ever used a tracker to create a hit song, but it is unfortunate that trackers are usually associated with a particular style of music. I have heard some very cool stuff in module formats, though I'll agree that most of the music-made-with-trackers that I've heard tends towards rather uninteresting dance beat music. I don't believe that trackers necessarily impose any kind of style restriction, you can bend them into doing non-beat oriented stuff. Kuno's "Substantia Grisea" is an excellent example.

Developers are often surprised at what users wind up doing with their tools.

Trackers seem to have come along at a time just before cheap samplers hit the market, which might have drawn attention away from the developing tracker communities. Nevertheless, those communities remain strong, a lot of people like to make music with trackers, and I don't think they're overly concerned with their lack of popular success. ;)

Best,

dp