Re: Linux music editor, greater than 32-bit ?

2007/2/27, Paul Winkler <pw_lists@xxxxxxxxxx>:> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:43:39AM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:> > You have amps and speakers doing 120dB? Show them to me.> Are you talking sound pressure level, or dynamic range?
Well, both :-)
Actually if it is dynamic range and an amp can do a dynamic range of120dB or more but I turn it down so the loudest level is 60dB SPL atmy ear, the smallest level will be 60dB-120dB=... well, it will besilent enough to be not to be heard. (*)
It's really not hard to reach 120 dB SPL at close range.  I own a bass> cabinet and an amplifier that I could, if I chose, drive to 130 dB SPL> at 1 meter, and be well within the system's limits.
We are talking about music-production for the mainstream and PA, notmusicians amps. :-)
I haven't seen anyone firing his home equipment to have 120dB andsitting 1m or less away from it...
<snip>> 120 dB dynamic range is an incredible amount, it corresponds roughly> to the difference between whispering and a rifle fired at 1 meter.> Even the humble CD can capture the difference between whispering and a> chainsaw.
120dB is the difference between just loud enough to be heard by yourear (1dB) and the loudness when the bones in your ear bow to protectit. At higher levels (>120dB) your ear aches but it will recover ifthe noise isn't permanent. At least thats the definition I learned...
And please remember folks, even 85 dB SPL can be enough to damage your> ears with long-term exposure.
Agreed! :)

(*) At least if my physics aren't completely wrong...-- visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/---Wenn man mit Raubkopien Bands wie Brosis oder Britney Spears wirklichverhindern könnte, würde ich mir noch heute einen Stapel Brenner undeinen Sack Rohlinge kaufen.