Re: Linux music editor, greater than 32-bit ?

2007/2/26, Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:> Vincent Jaubert wrote:> > On 2/26/07, Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> >> 24 bit means 135dB signal/noise ratio.> >> I haven't seen yet analog gear capable of 135dB.> > 24 bits is useful for processing. For the end user, 16 bits is enough.> Right, keep an overhead while processing, while the requirements for> delivery are lower.>> But I would argue that I'd like a tad more than 16bit for delivery.> 20bit would give us around 115dB if I'm not mistaken. 22bit would be> somewhere in the 120's. It would be nice to cover the whole dynamic> range of the human ear, which is 120dB.
You have amps and speakers doing 120dB? Show them to me.
Most time when I try to reach that dynamic range (with my home stereoor with a professional) PA I get several problems: - Neighbors banging on the door because of the loud passages in the music. - Listeners complaining about not hearing anything in a silentpassage after 2 minutes of 100dB. - To small mainlines to get the current for powering 120dB(A). - To small budget to be anywhere near 120dB dynamic range.
Come to think of it, it's probably easier to just make it 24bit (3x8)> and forget all the nitpicking. Let processing be done on 32bit and that> would be it.
While 24bit or higher is nice for processing, the only reason I seefor more bits on the consumer-side is to have a higher SN-ratio. Butmost consumer electronic is worse than noise of 16bit dac...
Arnold
-- visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/---Wenn man mit Raubkopien Bands wie Brosis oder Britney Spears wirklichverhindern könnte, würde ich mir noch heute einen Stapel Brenner undeinen Sack Rohlinge kaufen.