Re: status of ams

Atte André Jensen wrote:

I just rediscovered ams. What a nice synth! Actually I started implementing some of the few things I feel is missing. However it seems to me that nobody's using, at least the mailing lists are totally dead. So:

1) Anyone using it?

I *have* used it, but currently my work doesn't call for it.

2) If not, why? Don't need/understand this type of synth? Use something else (what) instead? Technical reasons/limitations?

See above.

3) If you ever tried what did you love about it and what did you hate? Did you find user friendly? Did it perform well?

Its GUI wasn't exactly attractive, but I didn't really care too much about that. And yes, it performed nicely.

4) To rephrase 2): If the project was resurrected, what would it take for *you* to start using it.

I don't recall if it's JACKed but that's a must.

5) Anyone (other than me) looked inside the code and interested in discussing certain aspects of that? Maybe even a joint effort to repair the quirks in ams?

Fons probably knows most about it, he contributed bits to the project.

Finally let make it clear that I don't have the time or knowledge to take over development of ams. But I'm interested in helping with bringing it to a state where it's a bit more usable...

A worthy and laudable interest. I'm dismayed by the slowdown re: development of native Linux synths, and I see more projects languishing instead of moving forward. Perhaps another relevant question might be, "Is the native Linux softsynth going the way of the dodo ?". Om/Ingen is not yet well-prepared for the end-user (though the most recent sources might have improved the situation), no development has occurred for ZynAddSubFX for some time, and the list of softsynths at linux-sound.org has not significantly expanded for a long time. Alas, neither has there been a rush of new DSSI synths. Good stuff is out there, but it seems to me that our choices are dwindling.

Don't get me wrong, I like what we have. I just want more. :)

Best,

dp