Re: Re: flatwounds & JJ Cale

Jan Depner wrote:

... I like most of Ry Cooder's stuff.
Wonderful musician. I worked for a few years at McCabe's in Los Angeles, he was a legend there. The owner said Ry would skip school and hang out there, pissing off older players by learning Skip James songs in a few days.

I saw him lead a trio in one of the weirdest concerts I've seen, opening for Captain Beefheart. Did you know that Cooder played on Beefheart's first LP ? It was a great show, Beefheart was memorable.

[re: Willis Alan]

   I can't find him on allofmp3.com so I'll have to look elsewhere.
One LP on Shelter, self-titled. Good luck.

[re: Radney Foster]

   I've heard some of it but I don't normally listen to "country".
Definitely in quotes for Radney. He's country like Buddy Holly was country. He's a fine writer, and he's got a great band.

   The Fuzzy Dice is pretty much on hold.  We play about twice a year.
Katrina wiped out all of the places we were playing...

Jeez. That sucks.

My other band, Charlie
Foxtrot, is playing every weekend though.  It's a classic rock band with
pretty fair personnel.  Henry Harrington was Mickey Gilley's lead
guitarist for about 15 years (including Urban Cowboy - he's in about two
seconds of the movie).  Jerry O'Rourke was Freddy Fender's bass player
during that same time frame.  They met each other on the road in Japan
of all places (they both live in Slidell).  My drummer has been playing
for about 40 years.  Everybody sings so we have 3 and 4 part harmony.
At the moment we're just a cover band.  I've got some original stuff and
so does Henry but we never get time to sit down and work it up.
You're a lucky guy. I don't have a lot of choice for players here, but I might put something together again soon. All of a sudden the clubs here are hiring, they've been adding patios and outdoor stages, so I'm looking at maybe scoring a steady gig for a while. I prefer a house gig now. :)

Best,

dp