Re: Re: Intel HDA and Jack

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 16:17 -0400, I. E. Smith-Heisters wrote:
> I've futzed around a bit more. I'd done this before, but I'd forgotten
> the exact results except that it didn't work. Tried all this both with
> and without RT and 16bit mode forced:
>
> upping frames/period to 4096 reduces the number of xruns to several/second.
> upping periods/buffer to 3 still gives xruns, as well as "usecs
> exceeds estimated spare time" messages.
> upping periods/buffer to 4 makes initialization fail with "ALSA: got
> smaller periods 2 than 4 for playback"
> putting it into non-duplex (ie. playback only) has no effect on behavior.
>
> So, yeah, that's why it's mysterious. In the past I sacrifice latency
> for no xruns, and everything's dandy. Not so, this time...
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you saying that RT mode has no effect on the xruns?  I find this
hard to believe.

Check the messages from JACK - maybe it's failing to set RT mode (thisis
a bug that's fixed in the development tree).

Try these tests in RT mode as root to be sure.

Are you using the proprietary ATI or Nvidia drivers?

Lee