Re: bcf2000 for Ardour control

R Parker wrote:
Hi,

Hi Ron

I'm considering a BCF2000 for Control Room B where we
do mastering, MIDI sequencing, region editing
(Ardour), etc. This appears to be the unit Jesse has
made functional for controling Ardour. Is that true?

IIUC, this is so.

If someone could share their opinions and experiences
with usability in Linux and as a control surface for
Ardour that would be helpful.

I have the BCR2000 which has very similar firmware. Plugged it in and it worked straight away :)

The additional MIDI ports the unit provides also appear to work correctly (though I'm a little sketchy about the amount of testing I did).

The unit has eight physical faders. Are there "layers"
which enable mapping to 9 > 16, 17 > 24, etc?

It's time-consuming, but that's how I tackled the BCR - I've programmed the first four presets to yield 4 banks of 8 channel strips. I've programmed the four buttons as transport controls for all banks.

I have tended to assign the first bank to session buses - thus 'hiding' the tracking details.

Seems to work well - the only issue being that reordering the displayed tracks/buses in Ardour breaks the instinctive mapping between the on-screen and physical representations of the strip. In my case this is an inconvenience because I often alternate mixing and tracking - thus confusing myself with the MIDI bindings.

HTH