[linux-audio-user] music apps being removed with Sarge/Etch updates

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 21:14, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 13:59 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > Hi. The latest updates on my Debian Sarge/Etch (on the testing repo)
> > > are wanting to remove. Cheesetracker (libsigc++ deps) , Wavemixer, and
> > > Seq24. Now I use, or more precisely, am trying to use Cheesetracker, so
> > > don't want to
> >
> >    try aptitude, it explains why it wants to remove packages,
> >
> >    I follow unstable and if it wants to remove something I like I just
> > don't upgrade for some time (like now they are upgrading c++ and kde so
> > it's pretty messy), the turmoils are fairly infrequent
>
> Another option is to let it remove the packages then force install them
> afterwards.  Not pretty but it often works.
>
> Lee

Hi Lee. I think I'll go for your option. It's not like I don't have
Cheesetracker on another distro, and if it all goes pearshaped, well so be
it.

It does seem like the 3 audio apps it wants to remove are all tied in with
libsigc++-1.2-5c102, which is being upgraded to libsigc++-5c2. Presumably
it's only these 3 audio apps that are being affected by this change. Amsynth
also requires libsigc++ according to my notes on FC2 deps, but looking at
synaptic options/deps for amsynth on my Debian Sarge/Etch install, this says
it's for a different version of libsigc++ (libsigc++0c102).

 I'll go for it. It will pass the time. Thanks for the advice. Nigel.

ps: I hope Linux distro's arn't going the way of MS Windows XP & the notorious
app trashing service pack 2. But saying that, at least Debian have the
decency to tell you before you upgrade, which app's they're going to trash.