[linux-audio-user] more notes re: fst/xfst

Mark Knecht wrote:

>>I'd like to see every Linux Audio user interested in this subject
>>start pressing the Wine folks to support this themselves. Let's pay
>>attention to the Windows apps that can host VSTs and VSTi's. Acid Pro
>>is a commercial one that comes to mind. Fruity Loops, etc. There's got
>>to be free VST loaders out there for Windows. Older versions of Acid
>>install and run  fine under Wine but do not handle VSTs very well. The
>>new versions don't install or run.
>>
>>Putting together yet another hack outside of Wine that will run for 1
>>year and then die when gcc5 comes out would be disappointing. Let's
>>get the Wine folks to support this.
>>
>>Please enter apps in the Wine AppDB and enter test results in Wine's
>>Bugzilla. If there are enough of us entering 100's of apps then
>>they'll pay attention. Maybe not fast, but I believe they will.

Hear the man. This issue is really as much a matter for the WINE folk as
it is for us. VSTs are Windows applications, WINE intends to run Windows
applications.

Torben Hohn wrote:

>i still believe, that the current xfst approach is a clean solution.
>it does no more use the libwinelib hack.
>its a wine app which uses jack natively.

An interesting approach.

I downloaded the 0.3 package and built it under Planet CCRMA's RH9, WINE
20050725. What I had to do:

    1) Fixed aeffectx.h by commenting out lines 918 through 932 and
added "struct" to the beginning of line 949 to read "struct VstFileType".
    2) Linked /lib/libuuid.so.1 to /lib/libuuid.so.

It built without problems. There is no 'make install', so I ran xfst
from its own directory.

The first time I ran it my X server crashed, probaby due to memory and
CPU shortcomings of my PII 366 laptop. I restarted X and ran './xfst
../vstplugins/Crystal.dll'. The plugin GUI appears and its various
controls seem to work all right. I connected a virtual keyboard to it,
played a note, and JACK zombifies the plugin.

I've only tried running the Crystal plugin, so this test doesn't mean
much. I'll try upgrading WINE to see if that matters.

>so someone should step forward and try to get xfst outthere soon. with webpage, README etc.

I need to update the VST/Linux tutorial and I'd like to include
information regarding xfst. Success stories are welcome.

I'll try building and installing it tomorrow on my desktop machine.

Best,

dp