Re: What software do I need to produce podcasts?

Hi Kevin,
this is a big question. The flippant answer is: it depends. :)

A little less so: JACK, PipeWire, ALSA and PulseAudio are audio drivers. There are many tools to work with a subset of those. If you mainly think about importing and cutting field recordings, basic ALSA could be enough, depending on your tool.

Audacity, to my knowledge, still exists. IIRC the dispute surrounding it got resolved in the end. Others here would know far more.

Perhaps you would get better and more concise answers, if you could list the tasks that you'd like to perform: import and edit audio. Recording your own voiceover? Mix in music? Produce some music for for your podcast? How much mastering would you like? Do you expect to work more live or work by setting things up and then simply rendering to disk? All these things might help to narrow it down? Perhaps even: which software might you be studying with? The particular workflow or main focus of your software at college might narrow down the most likely choices.

Sorry, for being of little help and instead providing more questions than answers.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

 * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I thought love was just a tingling of the skin <3
(Britney Spears)