What software do I need to produce podcasts?

Hello, all,

I've signed up for an Introduction to Audio Production course at my
local community college. I mainly want to learn how to record audio in
the field, and edit it into something like radio news segments or
podcasts (for those too young to have heard of 'radio').

When I was playing around with this 5-10 years ago, the go-to software
was Audacity, which I used and liked a lot. However, I understand that
Audacity has gone through some upheavals.

I'm on a Ubuntu 22.04 desktop, and I experimented at one time with
PipeWire, but I can't remember what audio tools are on my system
currently.

Do I need a Digital Autio Workstation (DAW)? Which one, in the FOSS
world, would you recommend? What audio tools (jack? pipewire?) do I
also need?

I'm sure that the college will have professional tools, in a lab, for
us to use, but I'd like to see if I can duplicate all the assignments
using FOSS tools.

Thanks for any advice or guidance for me.

-Kevin