Re: FFADO for pipeire [Was: ECHO Audiofire12]

Thanks for keeping us informed. It makes a refreshing change from the response
of some other developers.

Incidentally, have any of the web browser developers shown interest?

On Mon, 15 May 2023 19:33:14 +0200
Wim Taymans <wim.taymans@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Next PipeWire version will have a rewritten jack backend (make
>PipeWire become a JACK client based on jackdbus) that will also dlopen
>the native libjack.so to make it easier to mix jack and pipewire-jack.
>
>There has also been work on implementing multithreading in the
>pipewire server which will make it possible to use a dedicated thread
>for a device (used for the new JACK backend to use the native jack
>thread to run the pipewire graph). This should then also make it
>possible to use ffado as a device.
>
>I'm still experimenting with some options for this but FFADO does not
>seem as out of the question as it seemed some months ago...
>
>Wim
>

>On Mon, 15 May 2023 at 19:00, Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > What do you think: Will pipewire finally support ffado?
>>
>> The last I heard, there are no plans to implement any Jackd backends in
>> PipeWire. That includes net, FFado etc. There is already an auto dummy
>> device in Pipewire, but I do not think it is as flexable as the jackd
>> dummy backend.
>>
>> In theory, Pipewire should be able to use a running Jackd as a device.
>> There are some problems with this. Libjack must be one of jackd1, jackd2
>> or pipewire. If Pipewire is set up to act as jack, then starting
>> jackd(bus) will not work as planed because jackd will try to load
>> pipewire's libjack and fail. So jackd must be run from a script that first
>> resets the environment libpath to point at jackd's libjack before running.
>>
>> I have not heard anyone who has said they have done this.
>>
>> --
>> Len Ovens
>> www.ovenwerks.net

Will J Godfrey {apparently now an 'elderly'}
https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/
http://yoshimi.github.io
Say you have a poem and I have a tune.